Monday, April 02, 2007

Keeping Fit

My old boss Nigel Paine nominated me, if that is the correct term, to divulge what I do to keep fit.

Twenty years ago, my fitness regime would have included two football training sessions each week with Westerlands football club. At least one football match at the weekend, hopefully two, a game of five-a-sides at some point during the week and then, whenever I didn't have anything else on, a thirty to forty minute run to keep the old legs ticking over. Between the ages of 18 and 35 I would say I was as fit as a fiddle but like everything else in life changes in my body's ability to continue with the above schedule came over the horizon and the training became once a week and then disappeared off the radar all together. I damaged my knee running one night so stopped that too to save me for the football at the weekend and the fives. Suddenly the fives became that bit harder, the brain knew what I wanted to do but the legs weren't there to help me out so they were jettisoned too. So at 42 all I really had was the Saturday football until disaster struck and I broke my shin bone to end 26 years of amateur football.

So now, to answer Nigel's question, what do I do now to keep me fit? Coach an under 17's football team and get a wee run out with them at the end of the each session during a game - it's amazing how quick they are to the ball, or is it just me?

Try to play golf once a week. It's not a good walk spoiled I hasten to add but the way I hit the ball it can be an awfully long way from tee to green.

I even joined a gym for the first time in my life just before the end of last year but haven't been since January so not much progress there either.

So in summary, I don't do nearly as much as I'd like and I don't have any excuse to offer. I'm a stone over my fighting weight so maybe this admission will get me back on track.

No comments: