Friday, February 23, 2007

Reviving old memories

Took a step down memory lane today when I visited the Quality Hotel this morning. Most people in and around Glasgow will know it as the Central Hotel, attached to Central Station. The only time I was there was over twenty years ago when the work's Christmas night out was held in there. The night was made memorable for the fact that it was Kim Conway's, Kim Beaver at that time, 21st birthday as well and we all made her night slightly embarrassing with the gift we had all chipped in for. Hopefully, her boyfriend of the time enjoyed it!!

Jo Hunter, the venue's sales executive was showing me around all the various meeting and conference rooms the hotel has at its disposal. In many ways its a schizophrenic experience. On the one hand you have all the traditional rooms that give such hotels their unique character. Panelled walls, high ceilings, chandeliers, long long corridors and if truth be told some areas where a lick of paint or new wallpaper wouldn't go a miss. And then Jo showed me the new Focus room suites which were beautifully decorated and furnished and had all the hallmarks of a really new conference centre. Jo has her mind set on transforming all the rooms to this level of service which will make a huge difference.

Jo had even done her homework on me before I arrived having visited both the Think Different Events website and this blog. As far as I could make out she was giving me about 6 out of 10 for my musical taste and given she's at least twenty years younger than me I reckon that's not too bad a score.

No comments: